Your Project will consist of the following items:
MyBib.com is a citation manager that provides free citations for MLA, APA, and Chicago style. Create a new Project, then Add a Citation. Choose from website, book, journal, video, and more. If citing a database article, click on More and then Write/Paste. When you are ready to print your Works Cited or References page, click on Download Bibliography. Click here for handout. Watch the video!
There are many books available at the Library for you to check out! You will need FOUR sources for this paper:
Recommended for background information, facts, statistics, and medical information on your special need:
To access GVRL from home, enter the password: montytech1
Recommended for questions regarding news, teaching, learning, strategies, and educational services for those with that special need:
With Gale Databases, remember to click in the box that states Full-Text, and try the Academic Journals. Click on Citation Tools for the APA Style. It may be helpful to add the word children to your search in addition to the special need.
Database searching reminders:
1. The more specific your keywords, the better the results. Try less words.
2. Try different combinations and synonyms of keywords to search.
3. Use Advanced Search to narrow results.
4. Email or "print-friendly".
5. Databases provide the citation for you to copy and paste into your notes.
6. Watch out for plagiarism. Take quality notes.
Also try the direct link for all databases at libguides.montytech.net/databases for articles from newspapers.
The Research Paper will contain information on one specific special need. It may be a specific type of disability, health disorder, learning disability, or giftedness. You may choose one from the text or one of your own choosing. If it is not from the text, it must be pre-approved. Each student must select a different special need. Have an alternate selection in case when you sign up for your special need.
Your paper on your chosen special need will include the following:
- Opening paragraph introducing and basic information about your special need
- Causes of the special need
- Traits or symptoms of children with this special need
- Method of indentification or diagnosis, such as special tests
- Possible problems that face children with this special need
- Treatment and/or care
- Teaching suggestions for the teacher who may have this child
- Special services this child will need
- Programs, agencies, associations, or other resources available to assist parents and teachers
- Any additional information
Poster and Handout:
After the paper is turned in, you will create an informational poster and handout on your chosen topic. It must include the name of the topic, and important information to educate others about the topic. You will use the poster in an oral presentation to the class on the topic chosen.
The class will invite students from other programs to come in to the classroom to view the posters as part of a "Special Needs Informational Fair." The visiting students will walk around and ask the students questions about their topic. Project handouts will be available for visitors to the classroom. Visiting students will participate in a survey on the fair regarding the topic they learned the most from, the most interesting, and recommendations for improvement.