1. Become familiar and knowledgeable in using online databases to find reliable research.
2. Develop a claim about your chosen decade.
3. Support your claim with factual and supportive information from your research.
4. Compose a response in which you synthesize the information about your decade to summarize important information.
5. Create a work cited page with properly formatted MLA citations.
6. Become familiar and knowledgeable in using Glogster.
7. Exemplify your understanding of your decade by creating a Glogster.
Step 1: Choose a decade (1930s - 1990s) to research and find information on THREE topics listed at the right.
Step 2: Type up your notes (one paragraph per topic). You may use the note taking sheet provided or your own method.
Step 3: Choose one aspect of your decade to research in more depth. Dig a little deeper into a topic that interests you (like the rise of fast-food in the 1950s). Use additional databases to find more information (at least two databases must be used). Look for helpful quotations and facts.
Step 4: Turn all of your research about your subtopic into a two page expository paper. Your paper must contain a thesis statement (your claim that connects your subtopic to your thoughts on the decade as a whole) and information from your sources to support your thesis.
Example Thesis: "The 1950s should be known as the decade that led to our modern day obesity problem, as the fast-food nation we have become all got its start."
Step 5: Make a Work Cited page for all of the sources you have utilized for this project. You must use at least two databases from which you will likely have 3-4 citations. Proper MLA formatting is required. Use Easybib.
Step 6: Assemble your project. In total, you must submit your typed notes on your decade, a written response, and a Works Cited page. The neatness, organization, creativity and appearance of your project will be taken into account.
Step 7: Create a Glog that captures your decade through visual and auditory features. You will present the Glog to the class (2 minute presentation) so it will be used to enhance your overview of the decade and support your assertions. (50 points)
Step One: Choose a decade to research and find information in the databases for 3 of the following topics:
Step Two: Type your notes.
Step Three: Choose one aspect of your decade to research in more depth. Take notes. You must use at least two databases.
Gale Virtual Reference Library is a collection of 336 reference encyclopedias. Search for your topic and decade. Home login: montytech1
MLA citations are at the bottom of every database article. It's also an easy copy and paste into your Note-Taking Sheet. The login and password for all databases from home is montytech1 - montytech1
Once again, you must submit your:
- informal research notes (20 pts.)
- typed subtopic notes on a decade (50 pts.)
- 2 page expository report (100 pts.)
- Works Cited page (20 pts.)
- Overall neatness, organziation, creativity, and appearance of the project (20 pts.)
- Glogster (50 pts. Separate rubric to follow.)
Total project is worth 260 points.
Format for Written Response:
- 12 point Times New Roman font
- Double spaced
- 1 inch margins