Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Cover Letter Outline
Include the following in your cover letter:
- Header - Input contact information and date.
- Salutation to the appropriate person.
- Opening paragraph - Introduce yourself. State where you found the posting.
- Second paragraph - Research the company. Explain why you’re the perfect candidate for the job. Describe your background and skills.
- Third paragraph - Express your interest for an interview.
- Formal closing with your signature.
Three Sample Cover letters from sampletemplates.com.
Cover Letter Dos and Don’ts (from SampleTemplates.com)
Don’t oversell yourself. It is good to list your skills, capabilities and talents, but by over-portraying them, you may create a negative impression. Stick to specific skills to illustrate how your expertise will directly benefit the company.
Do dedicate a couple of sentences to highlight positive aspects of the company which will create a positive impression.
Don’t make mistakes. Check your cover letter for spelling and grammar before sending it.
Don’t just rewrite your resume. It should bring something fresh and new.
Don't sound like a robot. Exhibit your personality somewhat in your writing.
Do sound professional however and don't use slang or be too forthcoming about your personal life.
Sample Google Doc Resume and Template
This is a sample resume from a Google Doc. Click here, File and Make a Copy if you'd like to use it as a template.
Cover Letter Template and Google Doc
This is a Google Doc based on the template above. Click here, File and Make a Copy if you'd like to use it as a template.